Follow Jessica on Twitter @CrossAndLeaves or follow the Five Leaf Eco-Awards @fiveleafeco

Saturday, December 24, 2011

My Green Christmas Decorations

I'm not a crafty person, but this year I thought I would try my hand at some enviornmentally friendly Christmas decorations.

First there is our Christmas Tree:




As you can see, instead of going with a traditional pine or plastic Christmas Tree, we decided to buy a little variegated Hibiscus. Although we wanted a tree, we weren't keen on the idea of the environmental footprint of a plastic tree and had been thinking about putting a larger plant in this part of our flat anyway, so this will serve both purposes. The little beaded star is handmade, something I got in South Africa recently (read all about my Youth For Eco-Justice trip below on this blog). Beneath the tree (on the right) you can see that I like to wrap presents in used newspaper to be more sustainable

This tree could have been more sustainable if I'd used some kind of eco-tinsel (it must exist) and if I'd chosen a native plant.

Next there is my table centrepiece:




I'm quite proud of this one.
All the plant material you see was collected from the ground. I've taken several different bunches of gumnuts and slotted them together like Tetras to create this shape, and added a few more leaves.
These crazily shaped gumnuts are native here in Perth, and as someone who has just moved here I find them really cool.
As well as creating a nice balance, the three candles also symbolise the Holy Trinity.
This centrepiece could have been more sustainable if I'd used beeswax candles.

I don't think you can see it in the background, but between the fruit bowl and salt and pepper shakers/plant, there is our cute little wire chicken (egg holder) that I picked up for about $4 from Good Sammy's. One of my best finds. Tomorrow I'll also be setting the table with glasses, napkins and napkin holders all from Vinnies. Ah, the wonders of Op Shops for our sustainability quests....

Then there is my wreath:



Ok, so it's not the best wreath ever, but it's sustainable and it took me around 5mins. It's just some long strings of leaves from a gumtree curled into a circle and secured with some ties I've saved, hidden by some leftover tinsel and finished with my favourite hair ribbon. Voila!

And finally another little table decoration:


I was walking under a Banksia tree the other day and found these sprigs lying on the ground so I brought them home and put them in a vase from Vinnies. I've decided that Banksias should be the new Australian version of Ivy - something to put everywhere at Christmas. After all, most varieties have a lovely serrated edge a bit like holly, and even those that don't, like the one above, have silver undersides on glossy green leaves and a lovely leaf arrangment that makes them look great in a vase.

So that's all my little handmade eco-decorations. I hope you have a wonderful and green Christmas.

God bless. Jessica.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Important Lessons from the Bible

Why Jesus came:
"that the world might be saved through him"
John 3:17

Who Jesus is going to use to save the world:
"For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God."
Romans 8:19

Our role on earth:
"The LORD God put the man in the Garden of Eden to take care of it and to look after it."
Genesis 2:15

The Five Pillars of A Christian Theology of Sustainability

1. God is the creator, sustainer and redeemer of creation.

2. Covenantal Stewardship (we have a covenant with God as stewards of the earth).

3. The creation-fall-redemption paradigm (God made a good world; human failure broke the relationships between god, man and creation; Christ provides hope for all creation).

4.Bodily resurrection(we will rise with bodies, not as spirits)

5.New Creation (a new Heaven and new Earth refers to a renewal and an earthing of heaven, not starting over).

Adapted from When Enough is Enough: A Christian Framework for Environmental Sustainability, Edited by R.J. Berry, Published by Inter-Varsity Press, 2007, Nottingham p43+